Fire destroys Hamden home

Fire at 220 Garvin Road on Monday, Nov. 20, 2017. Credit: Paul Ramunni

HAMDEN – Fire heavily damaged a Garvin Road home Monday afternoon.

A loud explosion could be heard around 12:45 p.m. Monday, and a neighbor, a retired Hamden Fire Department lieutenant, reported that the garage at 220 Garvin Road was “fully involved,” according to Deputy Fire Chief Gary Merwede.

The fire spread to the rest of the house, and the roof of the home collapsed at about 1:25 from the blaze, Merwede said.

Fire at 220 Garvin Road. Credit: Paul Ramunni.

“On arrival,Engine 9 reported heavy fire with extension to the attic space above the garage and home,” Merwede said in a release Monday evening. “Fire crews quickly determined no one was inside the home. Gusting winds contributed to the fire spread in the attic.

Hamden Fire Marshal Brian Dolan determined the cause of the fire to be accidental, Merwede said.

“While the homeowner was working in his garage, gasoline vapor was ignited by a portable propane heater,” Merwede said. “A quick attempt by the homeowner to control the fire with an extinguisher was unsuccessful.  The fire spread up the inside walls and entered the attic spaces through a pull-down hatch.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.